Gladesville Veterinary Hospital offers caring comprehensive treatment to dogs, cats and birds of all shapes and sizes, and to all other domestic pets that you might have, including guinea pigs, ferrets, rabbits, rats and mice.

Printer friendly

< back

Spring 2006

Dangerous Foods For Dogs

Some foods that are safe to eat for humans can be poisonous to dogs. These include chocolate, onions, garlic, macadamia nuts, grapes and raisins and rising bread dough.

 

Chocolate contains chemicals, such as theobromine and caffeine, to which dogs are particularly sensitive. The darker or more bitter the chocolate the more toxic it is. Signs of chocolate toxicity include hyperactivity, increased heart rate, tremors, vomiting, diarrhoea, increased water consumption and urination, lethargy and potentially death. A 10kg dog could be poisoned by consuming just over 50g of dark chocolate or 500g of milk chocolate.

 

Plants of the onion family (onions, garlic, leek, shallot and chive) can cause damage to the red blood cells, which may lead to anaemia, weakness and vomiting in both dogs and cats. None of these foods, whether raw, cooked or dried, should be fed to pets.

 

Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, depression, vomiting, incoordination, tremors and high body temperature in dogs.

 

As little as 24g of Macadamia nuts can poison a 10kg dog.

 

Grapes and raisins have caused kidney failure in dogs when eaten in quantity. The amount of grapes or raisins that may cause kidney failure is not currently known and so any amount could potentially be dangerous.

 

If dogs eat rising bread dough, then the dough may swell in the stomach due to the animal’s body heat and ethanol may be produced that can lead to Intoxication. Clinical signs may include abdominal pain, bloating, vomiting, depression and incoordination.

 

All of these foods should not be fed to your pet. If your animal does happen to eat one of these foods, you should seek immediate veterinary advice. Prompt induction of vomiting may potentially save your animal’s life.

 

Mark

PS. Avocado is poisonous to birds

 

 © Gladesville Veterinary HospitalPrivacySitemapContact Us